Saturday, May 29, 2010

You can breathe now

Anybody still holding their breath for this update? I'm hoping not as you might be feeling a little light-headed by now. I had planned on updating while we were away, but it appears I have been spoiled by the land of "free Wi-Fi." Such a place does not exist where I was, at least not in the vicinity of our hotel. And truthfully, I wouldn't have had the time or the energy to update anyways. You are all free to breathe now.

Our visit was pretty textbook, as it should have been. Our departing flight was on time, even a bit early. We landed on Tuesday afternoon around 4:15p Eastern time, took a shuttle to our rental car pickup, and headed to meet C & M. C greeted us outside with a very friendly hug. She welcomed us into her home - a charming 1920's house with sweet character - where she had veggies to snack on while we waited for dinner. C's sister also came over to meet us; that was an unexpected treat. We also got to spend time watching C's toddler play -- he was so sweet, making me miss my own little guy back at home. C prepared a nice meal for dinner for us which we enjoyed on her back deck with a nice evening breeze. We had a few hours of nice and easy conversation. Theo and I were both pleasantly surprised at how comfortable we were with C & M, further confirming to us that I am meant to be matched with this couple.

Wednesday was quite a busy day, as was expected. Theo and I spent the first half of the day exploring the neighborhoods in Connecticut as my first appointment at the clinic wasn't scheduled until 12:30p. The clinic was very close to our hotel, easy to find, and staffed with the nicest people! I had a handful of vials (of blood, ha!) drawn and had a sonohysterography, a saline infusion sonogram. The doctor's diagnosis: a perfect uterus, yay!

We then spent some time with a wonderful nurse to go over the medical protocol and discuss a timeline. She also showed us how to administer the injections that I will need to take for approximately14 weeks, beginning in July. I personally think that the hubby was a wee-bit too excited about the idea of getting to jab a needle into my bum. I may be giving that injection to myself. :P Afterwards, we enjoyed lunch and made our way to another office to receive a phsycological exam. I answered 567 True/False questions for the MMPI 2, which is a personality "test." I wonder if I passed. Next, Theo and I were interviewed by a clinical phsycologist. This was just an informal "conversation" and lasted about an hour and a half. There were a lot of questions, some personal and at one point, I wondered if she were trying to "read' us, hehe! The evening ended with ice-cream for dinner...I know, but I hadn't had a blizzard from Dairy Queen in years!

On Thursday morning, after an hour and a half in traffic!, we met C at her home and headed into the city to do some sightseeing. There was a lot to see, but we didn't have much time after the morning traffic and having to be back at the airport by early evening. We visited Times Square, Grand Central Station, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and took a cab ride. The cab ride was as scary as they seem on television! C also treated us to lunch at what I thought was a rather swanky place, called TAO. We dined on dumplings, edamame, and sushi. Okay, Theo stayed away from the sushi and opted for steak instead. We definitely plan on seeing more during my next trip, which - if all goes well - should be around the beginning of August.

We headed back to the airport, and after a nearly 2hr weather delay, headed back home to Tennessee. All in all, I'd say it was a good trip, but a very busy one. I adore my parents, C & M...and although I may be a bit bias, I really feel that I got the pick of the litter with them!

And no, I still don't like flying!


  1. Well, I am so happy for you and your perfect uterus! Ha! Let me know when I get a turn at jabbing the needle in your rear. : P

  2. Yay! So glad things went well and you had a good time :)