Thursday, July 13, 2017

Any new symptoms?

"Any new symptoms?"

My OB asks me this question at every check up. I usually respond with the usual symptoms that come with a progressing pregnancy - no big deal. Except this past appointment (while still no big deal) I had to share a brand-new-not-my-usual-experience symptom.

This. This right here...


Do you see those large varicose veins?! I know they are normal in pregnancy, BUT I have not ever had them, ever. I have spider veins that show up in each pregnancy and they fade shortly after the birth. But varicose veins are new to me! This one (or two) popped up the second day of our trip to SC a few weeks ago and I can only assume it was due to all the walking - over 20k steps a day! - we do while on vacation. They are perhaps in my genetics as my grandmother's legs are covered in them.

There are no health concerns and they don't give me much trouble save that it's not so pretty to look at of course. It does come with some mild discomfort (a little tender/achy and itchy) at the end of the day if I've been on my feet a bit. Elevating my leg clears that up, so I guess it's a nice excuse to "take a load off" at the end of the day.

My OB tells me that it's unlikely to go away during the pregnancy and will likely become worse as my uterus grows and blood flow continues to increase. The good news is that most pregnancy induced varicose veins usually go away within the first year after delivery. In the meantime, I'll be sure to take time off my feet, continue exercise for good blood flow, and hope that I don't get anymore!

We will have the big anatomy scan in a few weeks. P and Z are planning to attend - should be a good appointment!

No updated bump pic as I was too tired - or lazy - to put on "real" clothes, ha! I will make the effort next week as little boy is definitely growing in there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment